Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Throwbacks: Goodie Mob

So this morning, I was listening to Still Tippin and mk called me out for listening to trap music so early in the morning. I realised that in fact, lately, I've been listening to a lot of that kind of music, and I've been digging that ol' dirrrty dirrrrty. What I've been bumping a lot of on my ipod though, is a certain is an often forgotten classic album from Goodie Mob, Still Standing. I know I say this all the time, but if you aren't familiar, you might have to kill yourself already.

These guys ARE dirty south. I will always love this album, and of course, how could I not love Soul Food. This is Cee-lo's beginning, and I will always love dude because he's really managed to evolve in his music, without losing credibility, respect and fans (and when he realised that he was a grown man, he replaced his full mouth grill with super white veneers). In fact, he's done what few hip hop artists are ever able to do- transcend boundaries as an artist. The other person I really dig for that is RZA, but that's another blog post all together. Don't me wrong, I'm not singling out Cee-lo because Khujo is one of the most underrated rhymists for me, and Big Gipp and T-Mo have had their own collabo's with artists too.

You might have heard the song below, maybe in the club, or heard a really cool person humming it, or a tryina be cool cornball sayin "dey don dance no mo, all they do is THIS"...Aaaaanyway, here's a video of They Don't Dance No More. I still have my Still Standing album in MINT CONDITION. That's something coming from me, because I haven't respected physical music in about 10 years (yeah, I've been downloading music since diap-up days, you ignorant grasshopper).


No comments: